? Casa di Libri | Main | Not surprised ?

July 01, 2005

Would you like a postcard?

I am going to San Francisco and Sonoma next week. Any suggestions for what I might do? Here's what I know so far:

I'm staying in the Mission District. I hear I should have a burrito.

I'm going to meet deano and deb. deano's going to show me around for a day and I will get to see his koi and the San Andreas Fault.

I'm gonna see my friend Bill and maybe meet his gal. I haven't seen Bill in forever, it will be really nice to see how California's been treating him.

I'm going to Alcatraz.

I've found a place to take afternoon tea.

My main goals are exploring and eating very well. And maybe checking out some famous bookstores or indie music shops.

In Sonoma I will join up with a few women from Pemberley for a long weekend of fun, laughter, drink, and women-food. It should all be quite pleasant, especially if I make sure to drink some good wine.

If you'd like a postcard, send me your address.

Yours, &c., LC | 09:51 AM | Slice o' Life | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)

Comments

You must visit the Rodney Strong Vineyards in Hearldsburg. They have a great tour, especially of their lower Russian Valley vineyard. And a great tasting room. Not to mention, the Piper Sonoma Champagne cellar is right across the parking lot. Bring a few baguettes of sourdough bread from San Fran and pick up some cheese and other good nosh from the organic grocer in Sonama (downtown on the square) and sit out under the oak trees in the parking lot drinking a bottle of Cabernet. Have fun...I"m so jealous.

Posted by: breadchick at July 1, 2005 05:56 PM

Lucky you!!!
Do you like parrots? There are the famous wild parrots living around Telegraph Hill...
Do you like artisan food, then maybe you'd like the Embarcadero...maybe stop by Miette's cakes [miettecakes.com].
Why not riding the Cable Car from Financial District all the way down to Fisherman's Warf and walk over to Embarcadero?

Posted by: mademoiselle a. at July 2, 2005 04:51 PM

Have a fabulous time! San Francisco is a beautiful place. Nob Hill is fun to see. And try riding around on the back of a bike-rickshaw (is that what you call them?).

The tea shop looks absolutely perfect. Enjoy meeting with fellow Pemberleans! Have a great trip.

Posted by: Cordelia at July 3, 2005 05:10 PM

It sounds like a great trip. Have a wonderful time!
Say Hi to Deano for me. He is really a great person and he will never know how much it meant for us to have met him. Mike really treasured his friendship.
I enjoy reading your blog. I stop by once in a while to see how you are doing. Mike's Mom

Posted by: Carol at July 3, 2005 06:12 PM

Hotel Triton (342 Grant) has a complimentary wine hour every evening with tarot card readings and other fun stuff. They don't seem to mind when non-guests wander in.

The taqueria in the Mission is unbeatable and not to be missed.

The Helmand (430 Broadway St./North Beach) is a wonderful Afghani restaurant.

Pretty much anything you do will be good. Just avoid the trap of sitting in a tub of warm water in the Levi's store in front of gawking shoppers.

Posted by: Jack at July 5, 2005 12:01 PM

i've got a genki little urban hike laid out for your unused-to-SF-hills legs. You will feel the burn. And Telegraph H parrots are definitely part of the itinerary. see you maņana

ps: hi carol!

Posted by: deano at July 5, 2005 04:01 PM

Oh, so much to do in SF! You can just step outside, pick a direction and walk and you're bound come across something fun and interesting (I've tried it many times).

Posted by: ladygoat at July 7, 2005 09:00 PM