? Stolen Book Leads to Car Chase | Main | 9/11 Commission Report ?

July 21, 2004

On the Fritz

My Palm IIIx (yeah it's a dinosaur) has been willful and dodgy in the last few months, despite being lovingly housed in its Kate Spade case. It's backed up, but the screen resolution has gone to purgatory. The most immediate problem is that I need to write down my passwords before the Palm completely fries.

I'm a month away from being free of my cellphone contract. What I would love is to go from having - and carrying - both a handheld and a mobile and go straight to a combo device. The object of my technolust? The Treo 600.

Bah! Guess I'll be scoping eBay for a cheap used Palm.

Addendum: As much as I would love to, I can't justify shelling out $500 for the latest, shiniest thing. (Though I do love the shiny things.) I'm getting a refurbished Handspring Visor Edge (in blue!) that will tide me over until I'm ready to commit to a smartphone. So next month, the issue will be just whether or not to stay with AT&T or move on to another carrier.

Yours, &c., LC | 01:04 PM | Internet & Tech | Comments (9) | TrackBack (0)

Comments

my mom has a samsung flip phone from sprint that runs on a palm system and she loves it! syncs with the computer, gets her email and phone calls. doesn't have a camera, but she didn't want one anyway. and did i mention its a flip phone? it rocks.

Posted by: dahl at July 21, 2004 02:40 PM

I'll have to check out the Sprint site. I thought it too was recommending the Treo 600, that it was no longer hosting a prior model. But maybe the Samsung is still available. I have yet to own a flip phone - something that is lacking in my life experience! ;)

Posted by: Lady Crumpet at July 21, 2004 02:51 PM

I have the Samsung i330, which is now 2 years old -- but I love love love the convenience of having both the phone and the palm on one device. One address book, one battery, one thing in my bag, instead of two of each. If you can swing it, I'd recommend a dual-capacity device in an instant.

Posted by: Jenica at July 21, 2004 04:40 PM

I have a Tungsten E. It's cheap, but very powerful (for me anyway). It's a good switch from the IIIx.

Posted by: mingaling at July 22, 2004 01:54 PM

Whoa there, little pony. I happen to be the owner of a Treo 600, and the road has not been unrocky. I chose it over the Blackberry because I needed the functionality of a Palm (yes! I'm a dork! I say "functionality"!). Within the first week, my screen had freaked out and had a few lines going through the LCD display. Then it started to freeze up when I did anything vaguely complicated, like trying to call someone back when I had just missed their call and the were busy leaving me a message, or sometimes for no reason at all. And not a soft freeze that you can fix by resetting - I'm talking a hard reset where all you data is lost. The only good thing about this is that after each hard reset it fixed the LCD screen for a few weeks. So I traded my first model in to Handspring (now Palm). I got my new model on MOnday, and it apparently has a loud buzzing sound to the other caller. SO I'm going to return this one too. Many of the people I have spoken with have had to do this as well. Usually they finally get one that works, but if'n I were you, I'd wait until they fix whatever bugs are plaguing this new series ( I hear they're coming out with a 610). The moral? DO not lust after what man has not yet perfected.

Posted by: Dash Riprock at July 22, 2004 02:07 PM

p.s. - Sprint wireless is the devil! The devil! You must - MUST - choose either ATT or Verizon. Although, ATT did just "misplace" $300 from my account by not telling me that my account number had changed because I was now on GSM.

Posted by: Dash Riprock at July 22, 2004 02:10 PM

I'm with ATT now - and weren't they just acquired by Cingular? But we are a split household, and our other phone, on the cheapie plan, is with T-Mobile - yep, still under contract. Damn contracts.

There always seems to be something better on the horizon, so perhaps I will sit out the Treo 600. Obviously, I can wait, having held on to my IIIx. But as it's about to die, I've got to have a Palm so I can transfer my programs and stuff.

The Tungstens sure are pretty.

Posted by: Lady Crumpet at July 22, 2004 02:52 PM

As the bearer of the aforementioned T-Mobile, I must say that I've encountered no crippling problems. They even replaced the phone quickly when I mysteriously caused some of the buttons not to work. I have noticed, however, that I can't get signal in the strangest of places, like on MARTA trains riding over Atlanta or on the street in downtown Chicago. I'll have to have a chat with Cathy Zeta-Jones about that next time she stops by to see me.

I've never owned a PDA, so I don't see myself on the market for one soon. In fact, I've yet to upgrade from the "little scraps of paper" method of personal organizing.

Posted by: Scott at July 22, 2004 05:01 PM

T-Mobile is the devil. I'm sure of it.

Posted by: mingaling at July 22, 2004 09:06 PM