? On Persuasion, Friendship, Affection, Arguments & Disputes | Main | BABB Roundup ?

July 09, 2004

On Native Soil Cement

Update: The correct lyrics.

You grew up ridiní the subways, running with people
Up in Harlem, down on Broadway
You're no tramp, but you're no lady, talkin' that street talk
You're the heart and soul of New York City

And love, love is just a passing word
Itís the thought you had in a taxi cab that got left on the curb
When he dropped you off at East 83rd

Oh, oh, oh (Oh, oh, oh)
Youíre a native New Yorker
You should know the score by now (You should know by now)
Youíre a native New Yorker

("Native New Yorker" - Odyssey)

I'm in town for a few days, hosted by the swell Mike Wolf. On my list of to-dos:

1. Attend the latest BABB.
2. Visit with some of the ladies of Pemberley.
3. Shop! (Hello, I am a girl.)
4. Visit one of my favorite bookstores in the world. (That would be The Strand.)
5. Oh yeah, the reason for my last minute decision to come up here: Tom Stoppard's Jumpers. Again, thanks to the illustrious Mr. Wolf for snagging tickets to one of the last performances before it closes.
6. Because I can't stop with just 5 things. Another spur of the moment decision - a visit to Bliss.

I'm sure there's more, but some things have to be left to chance.

Yours, &c., LC | 08:18 AM | New York minutes | Comments (6)

Comments

I think the lyric is "When he dropped you off at East 83rd."

But what do I know, I'm from Doraville: "touch of country in the city..."

Posted by: Scott at July 9, 2004 10:04 AM

Siberia! THE STRAND! Oh I'm so jealous.

Posted by: LTR at July 9, 2004 01:51 PM

the strand is fabulous, but you are so missing out if you've never been to Powell's in portland oregon. it's about the size of a city block and 4 or 5 stories high. a big sigh now for portland, i miss it so....

Posted by: marco at July 10, 2004 09:44 PM

There's another Powell's in Chicago that I think is affiliated in some way with the Oregon store. They have several locations but the awe-inspiring one is in Hyde Park near University of Chicago. I spent many a distracted afternoon there before going for pizza at Medici.

Posted by: Scott at July 12, 2004 09:12 AM

nice to meet you the other night (at the blogger bash). kind of funny that you mentioned the strand - i walked by it on saturday night and commented that as much as i want to love that store, i just hate spending all that time searching for the one book i'm looking for. kind of how i feel about thrift shops too.

Posted by: dahl at July 12, 2004 09:27 AM

It was good to meet you too, Dahl - I'm planning on writing a proper post about BABB, just haven't been at a computer long enough to do so. Yeah, the Strand is more of a place for serendipitous discoveries. Although if I'm looking for something new in hardcover, I'll check the review copies in the basement - that's the only place where I know I have a fighting chance of looking for something specific!

If we want to talk bookstores, there's also the Tattered Cover in Denver. Lovely, lovely place.

Posted by: Lady Crumpet at July 12, 2004 09:37 AM