? Library of Alexandria | Main | There and Back Again ?

May 13, 2004

Archive File Extension

MT users, what do you recommend? Currently I'm set at "html" but is there a reason I should change it, perhaps to "php"?

Yours, &c., LC | 01:32 PM | Admin | Comments (6)

Comments

No need to change it.

Posted by: LTR at May 13, 2004 02:11 PM

I changed to .php because I'm using a MySQL database now. No real reason to do that, incidentally, it just felt right. I have a feeling I'll be switching software now after all the brouhaha over the new MT licensing pricing structure, anyway.

Posted by: Mags at May 13, 2004 03:12 PM

You could even go for shtml to avoid php. But unless you are planning to include a moblog on the sidebar or a random picture from your photoblog etc. there is no crucial need to switch.

Posted by: mademoiselle a. at May 14, 2004 04:17 PM

if you set it to a php, you can have a sidebar blog :) and use php included pages too. :) mine is on html too anyhow.

Posted by: stef at May 14, 2004 06:04 PM

No need to switch unless you opt to actually integrate some PHP. If you're using straight-up HTML, then you're fine as is.

For any future host-changing, it might be worth it to consider changing your individual archive URLs so they don't reflect the MT-generated entry_id number (my last move, I somehow messed up the import so all the entry_id numbers reversed!). Plus, it can make the URL itself more readable. I use date/time in my weblog (maybe less useful) but date/title in my book and movie lists (definitely very useful).

Posted by: carol o at May 17, 2004 09:01 AM

Carol - I will be asking you about how to do this, since I think I'm going to have to ask everyone to check their permalinks anyway, so I might as well redo them before telling everybody officially.

I'm thinking I might want to do a photoblog, maybe a sideblog. So these are good things to know. Is there photoblog/sideblog software/resources that you folks like?

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at May 17, 2004 11:53 AM