? Falconcam | Main | Word of the Day ?

April 29, 2004

Hands

A small, blue-gray room. It's stuffy, overwarm. The single decoration on the far wall is a cross-stitch of a dog opening its gaping, oversized jaws and sticking out its tongue for the doctor.

Five hands - three sisters, the veterinarian, the assistant - hold or caress the tiny, lifeless body of the old miniature dachshund lying on a pale blue formica table.

One hand slips the stethoscope under the green cotton infant-sized t-shirt. "It's over," says the kindly voice. There are mumbled thank-yous and then we are left alone, three grown women and their dog.

Yours, &c., LC | 10:56 PM | Slice o' Life | Comments (8) | TrackBack (0)

Comments

Sorry for your loss.

Posted by: Annie at April 30, 2004 01:52 PM

i'm so sorry. i'm thinking about you...

Posted by: zeebah at April 30, 2004 03:44 PM

Thanks. I feel slightly sheepish, because I am sad, but I don't want to seem excessively tragic. He went very, very peacefully, almost as soon as the shot was done.

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at April 30, 2004 04:02 PM

don't feel bad. putting an animal to sleep is really difficult and sad. even if it is peaceful.

Posted by: zeebah at April 30, 2004 05:22 PM

Oh, that's sad...seeing someone go is hard. It's hard for those who are left behind. For a second, I thought of a specific line of "Return of the King", but then, it probably was to his best.

Don't feel sheepish - you were giving leave to a tiny piece of your heart, and it naturally hurts...

I am happy for you though about the coincidence with the falcon's nest. There is new life, this should remind you and hopefully cheer you up a bit.

Posted by: mademoiselle a. at April 30, 2004 06:30 PM

loss is always a hard thing, i'm sorry. and harder mostly for the ones letting go.

Posted by: stef at May 2, 2004 09:50 AM

{{{{LC}}}}

Pet Heaven is a warm, sunny place with green grass and lots of room to run and fly and play. I am firmly convinced of this.

Posted by: Mags at May 5, 2004 03:29 PM

Sometimes pets are harder than you expect... because you're making the choice. There are all sorts of emotions attendant on that -- you think you're doing the right thing, you think you're doing the wrong thing... but in the end, you do it. And it's never easy.

Before the whole father debacle, I lost my kitty in February. They're both big empty places, for me. So... my sympathy.

Posted by: jenica at May 6, 2004 02:46 PM