? Words Made Real | Main | An Unpleasant Discovery ?

March 26, 2004

Le Deluge

We have an interesting problem here at the Armoire. Our traffic is climbing beyond the limits set forth by Lady Crumpet's lovely host. Since we are not well-versed in the ways of reading our statistics, it is difficult to say how much of the traffic is intentional as opposed to some bot crawling the site. Clearly, the strategy of blogwhoring has taken some effect. Now we must consider upgrading, perhaps migrating to another space if that proves more feasible.

Yours, &c., LC | 10:33 AM | Admin | Comments (10) | TrackBack (0)

Comments

Oh, I keep forgetting to tell you! I switched to Bloghosts.com and they are just as good as Logjamming and a little cheaper.

They also have some decent statistics reporting over there, you can analyze your robots/crawlers vs. "real people." Though I don't know which category I fall in.

Posted by: LTR at March 26, 2004 12:11 PM

Yikes. I'm sure your hosts are fine, fine people. However, bandwidth of 300 meg a month is pretty limited.

I lurv my host, Dreamhost. For $10 a month you could get, um, 25 gig of bandwidth and 500 meg of storage.

Posted by: mrw at March 26, 2004 12:19 PM

If I change hosts, will I have to reinstall MT all over again?

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at March 26, 2004 12:28 PM

Yes, you would have to do a reinstall. And it's not an entirely painless process, but I'm sure you could find at least a couple volunteers to lend a hand as necessary. I'm no expert, but I have reinstalled a couple different times across a couple different hosts...

I also use Dreamhost and have found them pretty reliable. Not sure about what your needs are, but would Typepad be an option for you? I think they're only $5 a month and the system comes, of course, pre-installed.

Posted by: carol o at March 26, 2004 12:39 PM

Maybe if I hadn't struggled through learning to install MT I might have gone with TypePad, but the plan with the most control seems to be about $15 a month, and Dreamhost offers both more webspace and bandwidth for less. Oooh - looking at BlogHost's details, they do free blog software installations, as well as upgrades! I guess it's a combination of my being stubborn and cheap - I like tinkering with the blog (even when it's a pain), but I also think I should learn to do things myself. Not that I'm so cheap I won't pay a professional do things that I can't be bothered with, like hemming my pants.

Other good hosting suggestions that I've gotten:

My Value Host

LisHost.com

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at March 26, 2004 02:24 PM

Yes, bloghost will install MT for free, but like Carol said, either one of us (or both) would do it for free for you as well. It's the least we can do for forcing you to upgrade. :) It really does look like Dreamhost is the best value for a plan with more space/transfers than you currently have.

Posted by: LTR at March 26, 2004 03:02 PM

Mwaaahahahahahaha! *rubbing hands together in a dastardly, but still ladylike fashion* You've been duly recruited, should I require your assistance. Or at least a shoulder to cry on.

I wish MT 3.0 would hurry up and get here already.

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at March 26, 2004 05:02 PM

Dear Lady C-
You should try CornerHost. It is run by a very fine individual named Michal Sabren who is extremely helpful and kind. Also, he has solutions to bandwidth usage problems since this has come to be a problem for some of his users -- so you can upgrade your bandwidth without upgrading your package. And he monitors it all for you! A beautiful system :-)
Katie (of Jane-Blog)

Posted by: Katie at March 27, 2004 02:47 AM

Naturally, the day after I recommend Dreamhost my site connectivity turns to wacky. Still hasn't completely resolved yet, but I guess I should amend my words to say that before the last week or so, Dreamhost has been very reliable.

Posted by: carol o at March 29, 2004 09:42 AM

I am pretty happy with my host, JaguarPC. They just upgraded their plans (to compete with Lunarpages, the hot new host on the block, I think). They have only one shared server plan, with now-ridiculous allowances of 1 gig (yes, that's a GIG) of space and 45 gigs of transfer for $9.95 per month! It's less per month if you pay a year or two in advance. I've been with them a couple of years and I'm pretty happy with them.

I'm having fun with all my extra space--I installed a couple of content management systems that I'm playing around with, though I suspect I'll end up using MT anyway. :-)

Incidentally, make sure before you sign up that the host allows MT. Some of the budget hosts (who cram 500 sites on a server) don't allow it because rebuilding blogs with large archives can be resource-intensive. It is to be hoped that this situation will improve with MT 3.0.

Posted by: Mags at March 31, 2004 09:22 PM