? Happily Ever After, Maybe | Main | War Mongering ?

February 24, 2004

Yankee or Dixie?

I wouldn't call this definitive, but this quiz measures your relative Yankee or Dixie-ness based on what words you typically use to describe things. Surprisingly, I came out 68% Dixie.

Still, I won't be using the window to get in and out of the car.

Yours, &c., LC | 12:32 PM | Writing & Language | Comments (7) | TrackBack (0)

Comments

I registered 94% Dixie, despite several answers that seemed influenced by my years spent in Chicago or by my mother's Pennsylvania dialect.

Posted by: Scott at February 24, 2004 02:15 PM

"Hoagie," "soda," "TP'ing" and "Devil's Night" apparently led me to registering only 52% Dixie -- and some possible plans for next Oct. 30. :)

Posted by: carol o at February 24, 2004 02:46 PM

after what seemed like a strong lean towards the yankee dialect, i ended up with a "98% dixie Is general Lee your father?"

can i have a recount? i know i'm not that southern! not that that is a bad thing, i'm just surprised.

Posted by: marco at February 24, 2004 03:12 PM

This Michigander scored 48% Yankee. I guess my Georgia years didn't stick...

Posted by: mrw at February 24, 2004 03:45 PM

Yep- the problem is that the Midwest/Great Lakes register as Dixie. The responses were dead on- Indiana & Chicago influenced pronunciations, but then it tells me I'm Dixie! The horror! I'm guessing the programmers are from the Northeast...

Posted by: angela at February 25, 2004 10:48 AM

The "Yankee or Dixie" is really too narrow a question, especially given how people move around all over, as well as the influence of television. Also, if the quiz were more in-depth, there'd be more precision in the results. But this is just for a lark.

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at February 25, 2004 01:02 PM

I don't dispute my score too much, I use y'all, icing, access road, rolling, roly poly, and crawdad. I think 94% may be a bit high, but it seems that your Southern score only goes down significantly if you use language not common in the South or nationwide.

Truthfully, the first time I heard "TP'ing" used in place of "rolling" I thought it sounded dumb. And those things are crawdads, damnit.

Posted by: Scott at February 25, 2004 03:18 PM