? "We Were Almost All Wrong"* | Main | Where I've Been ?

February 01, 2004

Super Bowl? What's That?

A leisurely Sunday afternoon. Caught a screening of The Triplets of Belleville, paired with the short Destino, a collaboration between Dali and Disney. Destino was okay - it was pretty, but the animation seemed less than dynamic. Dali's images were more like moving set pieces than paintings brought to life. I think the Disney contribution toned down the darker imagery that might have had freer reign otherwise. I understand that Un Chien Andalou, a work by Luis Bunuel and Dali, is more truly avant-garde, whereas Destino achieves merely the appearance.

When the short finished, there was a loud, sharp burst of rapid-fire applause by a single man, joined by some less vigorous clapping, but only a little. Why do people (adults, not little kids) clap at the movies? If you're at a festival screening where someone involved with the film is actually there, sure. But when the only recipients of your applause are the rest of us in the audience? If you please, sir - we really don't give a rat's ass what you think.

Triplets was thrilling - it was inventive, comical, and barbed. And while the film I saw turned out to be the dubbed version, there was very little dialogue anyway; the visual narrative made words superfluous. I'd like to see it win the Oscar, but I rather doubt it, given the front-runner status of Finding Nemo.

Yours, &c., LC | 10:04 PM | Film/TV | Comments (6) | TrackBack (0)

Comments

i have not found out why people clap after a movie ends. it is strange. i've been to movies/showings where they clap as it is beginning - that's even worse.

Posted by: stef at February 2, 2004 07:39 AM

i, on the other hand, did enjoy destino. his paintings have a feel to them that makes them seem like animation cels and i enjoyed the movement of them in the film. i agree that it would have been darker without disney's little fingers here and there, but that's ok. he must have known that when the project was first started. i wish though that it had been more surreal... i was hoping to see a flaming giraffe in the background!

Posted by: marco at February 2, 2004 05:08 PM

I think it's somewhat akin to a recent NYT article about the sudden ubiquitousness of the standing ovation at Broadway shows ("Taboo" apparently received an ovation every night fer chrissakes). People pay good money and want to make themselves feel good about it. Like they got "something." Admittedly at $10 screening in Atlanta and a $200 theater ticket aren't quite the same, but you get the idea.

"Un Chien Andalou" is brilliant and apparently unavailable on DVD. A shame, really. I own a VHS copy I could lend you, though.

Posted by: mrw at February 2, 2004 05:35 PM

Thanks! I'll see if I can borrow it from the library first.

There are bits of Destino that I liked - such as the ants turning into men on bicycles, or the woman's head becoming dandelion bits that flew off and were still tiny dancer figures. But animation implies some kind of motion - the short was mostly a frozen Dali landscape, with some animation. Just because it's Dali doesn't mean it's the best work he's ever done. But given that there's not a lot of film work of his, I was glad to see it nonetheless.

I would have liked to have seen Taboo. I don't know that I would have stood up but I think it would have been some good musical theater.

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at February 3, 2004 09:56 AM

Only because I love to torment you about not living here anymore...

LAGE DOR (1930) and UN CHIEN ANDALOU (1929), Luis Buuel and Salvador Dals landmarks of surrealist cinema, will end their one-week engagement at Film Forum on Thursday, February 5. Both films are shown together, with LAGE DOR presented in a new 35mm print.

Sadly, I'm too late as I can't make it by tomorrow night.

Posted by: mrw at February 4, 2004 07:47 PM

Yes, I'd heard. Even living in the backwoods I can still keep apprised of what's going on civilization. ;)

Posted by: LadyCrumpet at February 5, 2004 09:30 AM